Saturday, August 15, 2009

Back from our vacation!!

So, Jamaica was awesome, and we feel so blessed and way undeserving of the time we were able to have. We seriously had the most relaxing, enjoyable, restful time together. Something about the warmth of the sun and hearing the waves lap up on the beach from your lounge chair is so refreshing. It really was much needed- Nate and I have had an extremely crazy first 2 years of marriage with our life circumstances in particular. We have had nothing but a GREAT first 2 years, but moving twice, starting and completing a whole new degree, new jobs for both of us, and a new marriage was a lot to undergo in a year and a half time period. So needless to say, this time was a great time of regrouping and refreshment!

Something that has been weighing on my heart since we have returned is this: we are so amazingly blessed. Part of this trip was riding from the airport to the actual resort. Montego Bay is on the north end of the island, and our resort was on the south end, so we had a 2 hour bus ride into the main land of Jamaica. As much as it was extreme poverty, it was also a very eye opening experience for Nate and I. Something I grew to love about the Jamaican lifestyle that we observed is the true "No Problem" motto. I always thought it was something a little cliche' to assume about Jamaicans, but it really IS their way. They are so laid back and seriously seem to have no care in the world. But the visual that we observed of the poverty and lack of adequate housing or conveniences of a nearby grocery store seemed they would think otherwise. It was a paradox to us to see how carefree these people were, even in the midst of having almost nothing. It brought us to a realization of the extreme need for stuff our culture has. Don't get me wrong, Nate and I have definitely fallen prey to wanting things that are just stuff. We want things that we can't have, afford, etc. All in a state of discontentment for what we DO have that actually is ALL that matters. Our culture does this. We strive for things that we think are important! Yes, they are important, but isn't a roof over our head and food on the table really all that we need? Why do we toil and strive for a bigger and better roof over our head that we may not be able to afford, just because our culture tells us that's the next step? Why do we want stuff so much? I suppose again, it's the culture we have grown up in, and by default it's how we think. I just think of the Jamaicans. They are "no worries, no problem" all the way, baby!! And they don't even have a substantial home. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we really had an experience that opened our eyes. We learned to be grateful for what the Lord has blessed us with and felt sorry for the times we wanted more, when what we have is more than we every deserved in the first place. I have our experience in Jamaica to thank for this new revelation. I pray that Nate and I can always be content and thankful, not wishing for more than we need, because what we need is a whole lot less than what we've been accustomed to thinking we need!!

"And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."
Phillipians 4:19

Here are some lyrics that the famous Bob Marley wrote:

Rise up this mornin'; smiled with the risin' sun.
Three little birds pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs of melodies pure and true; saying,
This is my message to you.”

Singin' don't worry about a thing, ‘cause every little thing gonna be all right."
Sayin' don't worry about a thing, ‘cause every little thing gonna be all right!"

I couldn't help but remember the passage in Matthew after hearing this song as i thought of the birds and their message of no worrying about our lives.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:25-27

Hopefully, Nate and I can continue to remember this experience and allow the Lord to handle our circumstances. He WILL supply ALL that we need according to HIS will. We don't need to strive and toil for pointless "stuff". We had an amazing time and we feel extremely blessed for every single minute of it! I highly recommend Jamaica- Ya MON!

Check out pics on our facebook!

1 comment:

The Norvells said...

so glad you guys had a good trip. And thanks for sharing a little of your heart. Love you friend.