Monday, February 6, 2012

Paleo adventures!

The Paleo bandwagon? YES! Nate and I have definitely jumped aboard. I heard very little about this way of eating before starting it, but in the last few weeks, I've learned SO much more. I did a google search on Paleo diet and found some pretty amazing websites about it. My family has always tried hard to eat healthy and cut out as much processed foods as possible. We watched Food, Inc. a few years ago, and since then I have a hard time buying grocery store meat, as it's nearly impossible to get grass-fed meats.

Summing those things up, I can't say I've done exactly what I know is best in the way of eating food. We eat what's easy most of the time, with spurts here and there of "healthier eating" time periods.
Meats, fats, veggies, and small amounts of natural carbs are the best diet in my opinion. Lo and behold, that's what Paleo is (minus the refined sugars and grains)! I was SO excited to see there's a method out there that can help guide us through our desired eating ways!!

It just makes sense!

As we've been working on this the last week or so, I've definitely enjoyed the cooking aspect! I've have a TON of new veggies in my fridge that I can't say I've had in a LONG time, much less even tried before. Chard anyone??? Yes, I knew exactly what chard was before starting this journey... ha. Now, I do! And I can't wait to try it. Not to mention the plethera of other veggies filling our fridge! We're cooking with coconut and olive oil only and not being shy on the meats, either.

I will say the first week has been tough. I HATE the way I feel, but I love it in a way, too. I like the cleaner feeling I have, but I do believe my body is transitioning from horrible, disgusting processed food and sugar eating to this new method, and it's revolting against me! Nate and I have had pretty bad head aches and general tiredness. On a lighter note, I have not been hungry at all! I also haven't even craved anything sweet or "bready". It's kinda strange!

I've done things like this before and haven't had an easy time staying on the bandwagon. I'm really hoping this turns more into a lifestyle for us, as we're working to look at this way, rather than another "diet"! Nate and I ate like our usual ways yesterday, and today my stomach is hating me. Just after 1 week. We had mexican food and ate ice cream last night. Yikes is all I can say.

Soon and very soon we will be getting a Trader Joe's in The Woodlands! yippee!!! This means more of an opportunity to buy grassfed meats! My mom cooked with these kinds of meats when I was still living at home, and I will say they have a different, fresher taste.

I'm excited to see how this goes over the next month. Nate and I decided we'd pledge to do it for 1 month!

2 comments:

Kati said...

Lauren, that's so cool! When did you start getting interested in it? It's not an easy switch to make when we're so accustomed to the standard American diet. AND when I can't clear my house of all the bad stuff because of Ryan and the baby. :) That's why I'm doing this 2nd challenge...more accountability and hopefully the habits will stick.

I hope you keep feeling great. There is def a transition period and I know Monday is going to hit me hard :-0

The Norvells said...

Way to go for making a change! I have to say I'm conflicted on the paleo diet. I've heard lots of research about whether or not meat is, in fact, something we shold be eating. have you watched the documentary "Fat, sick and Nearly Dead?" It's really good and talks about the same concept, eating clean and getting back to the "first foods," but they exclude meat as one of those foods, stating that all protein should come from veggies and natural carbs, like beans and nuts. I think the important thing is finding a way of healthy eating that works for you...meat or no meat! I'm proud of you guys and will try to support you when you're here this weekend.